Tuesday, October 10, 2006

"Put it in the pipe, then you fire it up, make you feel real nice!"

Y'alright?

Just thought I'd waffle on about this record while I'm waiting for this week's mixtape to upload (it's a double). It's a rather excellent compilation that anyone with even just a passing interest in disco music, nay, scratch that, just music in general should fork out the cash for.


New on the excellent Stateside label is a compilation of superb disco-funk (No! Don't run away!) tracks, all originally released on the now defunct T.K. Disco. Disc One has been mixed by Bill Brewster, DJ historian and all-round good guy from Grimsby, while disc two is an unmixed collection. For those not in the know, T.K. Disco released such dancefloor classics as George McRae's 'Rock Your Baby', Anita Ward's ubiquitous 'Ring My Bell' and various stuff from K.C. And The Sunshine Band, among others. This comp takes some of the more obscure delights from T.K.'s back catalogue and throws them together in a delightful way.

T.K. was based in Miami and a lot of the records were informed by the exotic nature of the place. Artists and producers would take influences from nearby Cuba, leading to an more colourful sound than, say, Philadelphia International or Salsoul. Some tracks lean more towards funk than disco though, whilst always retaining that flamboyant, decadent disco edge, only amping up the taut guitar licks and electric piano.

There's not really much else I can say about this compilation as I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to T.K. myself, but all I know is that it's pretty much all I'm listening to at the moment, so I guess that's saying something.

Git some!

Mad Dog Fire Department - Cosmic Funk (mp3)

Wizzdom - Free Bass (mp3)

If you want to know a bit more about the T.K. Disco imprint, go here.

I also want to say a little more about this Manchester Blog Awards thing that I've been shortlisted for. I might have sounded a bit flippant when I mentioned it yesterday, but I didn't mean to. I am, actually, really fucking chuffed about this. It's nice to get recognition for doing something that I enjoy and am always surprised when other people say they do too. To be included in a shortlist of three out of all the 'arts and culture' blogs there are in Manchester (ie quite a few) is such an absolute honour that, even if I don't win, has already completely made my year.

Also, it's kind of validated this thing that I do and made me think that maybe, just maybe it isn't a waste of time after all. So thanks to the panel for deciding that I'm one of the three best arts and culture blogs in Manchester and, by extension, the best music blog in Manchester (Sorry Jon. Sorry Just Hipper and The Ledge.). That's an honour in itself, so as far as I'm concerned, I've already won just for being nominated and I say that with the most sincerity that I can muster.

Take the time to have a look at my fellow shortlistees...

Ready Steady Book

Bitter And Blue

Laters,

JMx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home