Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bozak boogie.

Hey you!

It's been a while. Too long. How have you all been keeping? Anyway...


After seemingly months of anticipation, I've finally heard James Murphy and Pat Mahoney's (of LCD Soundsystem, in case you didn't know) Fabriclive mix and it's - deep breath - well... it's not great. It's entertaining and you can't go far wrong with this much disco music in one place, but the mixing, whilst natural and done on a hand-to-hand Bozak (like what Larry Levan used to use), is unadventurous to say the least. I suppose that's partly the point really, to make the mix seem unobtrusive and I guess the largely disco tracklisting leads to it sounding a little plain (inasmuch as a disco mix can sound plain), but I can't help but feel that this could have been a lot better.

I feel bad knocking something where there's clearly a lot of love for the content involved, but knowing how eclectic Murphy's tastes are, something a little more all-over-the-shop would have been nice. Then again, there's a lot of those about and maybe the guys didn't want this to be like those. Bad points aside though, this features some of my favourite all-time disco tunes ('Love Has Come Around', 'Tell Me That I'm Dreaming', 'Put Your Pants On') alongside some great modern discoid sounds (tracks from Baby Oliver and Eric Broucek's Babytalk project to name but two), so it's hard to be too churlish. It's just, y'know, no Cosmo Galactic Prism or anything, but then again, what is?

Fabric should have got Tim Sweeney to do it instead, methinks. Speaking of which, I think I'm starting to prefer the shows where he's on his own to those where he has a guest. His Beats In Space show for September 4th (Tim plays Beats In Space classics!) is essential. Lots of new wave, Balearica and early house and techno. Go get it! Also, while you're on the download, check out a really great disco mix in Rahaan's 'Disco Love' over at Million Dollar Disco. Proper funky.

Check out Black Country Grammar to sample some more tunes that James and Pat throw in the mix, after you've grabbed these ones that is...

Was (Not Was) - Tell Me That I'm Dreaming (mp3)

Junior Byron - Dance To The Music (mp3)

Baby Oliver - Primetime (Uptown Express) (mp3)

That's all for now,

JMx

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Steph Mulrine said...

Got a press release that mentioned the Fabric mix. I didn't know how to feel.

I was expecting eclectic madness.

I wanna hear it now!

11:38 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so proud to be on your blog list..:)

8:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JAMES where for arse thou? :D:D

NEW BURIAL UPCOMING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://hyperdubrecords.blogspot.com/2007/10/burial-untrue-november-2007.html

5:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home