Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Mixtape Ahoy! (Slight Return)

Okay, okay, I know that I said I'd get the second part of my double mixtape up yesterday, but I went drinking instead, because beer >>>> blog. Anyway, I'm sure you'll agree that it's worth the wait. There may only be ten tracks, but they clock in at around 78 minutes, so you definitely get some serious bang for your buck. I know that statement doesn't make much sense as I'm giving this stuff away, but hey, I'm not the type of guy to make sense when gibberish will do...

GIDDY UP! VOLUME FIVE PART 2

  1. Spirit Catcher - Key Generator (Some distinctly retro vibes going on in this monster. It's a little acid-y, but not annoyingly so, the drums thump along and the synths end up with their hands in close proimity to the lasers. Euphoric in the way that those bargain-bucket compos that only seem to sell in garage forecourts could only dream of.)
  2. Marco Bailey - Bollocks (Gabriel Ananda Remix) (Veteran Italian producer, Bailey gets a techy rework courtesy of the venerable Mr. Ananda. The swell and build in this track seems to come out of nowhere to goose you and tickle the titular part of your anatomy, giving you the best kind of shudder.)
  3. Minilogue - The Girl From Botany Bay (One of the most intricate, meticulously put-together tunes of the year thus far, 'The Girl From Botany Bay' has so much going on in its ten-plus minutes that it takes a good ten listens before it properly sinks in. When it does though, it's mucho satisfying. Waves of dischordant noise have never sounded so good.)
  4. Brennan Green feat. Ron Morelli - 900lb Man (One of the most wrong-headed things I've heard in a long time. Nothing like anything Green has done before, this has a spooked-out, sinister dub-punk vibe, not unlike The Pop Group but with added acid squiggles. Guaranteed to freak the shit out of you.)
  5. DJ Shadow feat. Phonte Coleman - Backstage Girl (A wonderfully told story about the seedy side of touring the world that features some dirty-arse Southern rock guitar, a Jon Spencer sample, oodles of harmonica and a fucking drum solo! Shadow's new album is all-over-the-shop but when it hits, like this, it kicks like a fucking mule! Features one of the best lyrics of '06 in, "I said 'I don't know your name, it feels wrong even though I don't show it'/She said, 'Wish I could tell you the same, but I won't tell you my name, 'cos I want you to fuck me like you don't know it'")
  6. Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road (I'm obsessed at the moment, both with this song and with trying to turn people I know onto The Boss. What's not to like?! One of the sharpest, most spot-on songs on doomed youth ever written.)
  7. Midlake - Roscoe (Just because it's the dog's knackers.)
  8. Rick Ross feat. Dre - Blow (I think that Jay-Z might have been a bit previous in placing so much faith in Ross as his debut record, Port Of Miami is a bit on the dull side. There are a few solid-gold bangers though, including this. I could listen to him say his name all day though. Rrrrick Rrrrawsss!)
  9. The Rapture - Get Myself Into It (So, The Rapture are back with a track that the haters have already laid into. I like it though, despite it being a bit moronic in the lyrical stakes. Having said that though, since when have disco records had to have deep lyrical concerns? Get yourselves into it.)
  10. LCD Soundsystem - Yeah (Live) (Recorded at Electric Picnic last year, this more epic than Ben-Hur live version of one of LCD's finest moments just keeps going and going. Kind of makes you want to have been there though, if only to avoid the annoying deejay that comes in at the end with inane comments about the state of LCD Soundsystem's website. Ignore that and get yer dancing shoes on.)

Giddy Up! Volume Five Part 2 (Part 1) Zipped and Rapidshared

Giddy Up! Volume Five Part 2 (Part 2) Zipped and Rapidshared

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home