Thursday, April 12, 2007

For he's a jolly good blogger!

Hi everyone!

Yes, that's right, today Yer Mam! has reached the wise-old age of two. We are two years old today and, with that in mind, I've decided to do something a bit special. People always* ask me, "James, which bands have appeared on the most Yer Mam! mixtapes?", but up until the other day, I didn't know the answer. So what I did was, I dug through all the mixtapes I've ever posted and made a tally. The results were somewhat surprising. For instance, if you'd have told me that I'd put Stars on eight (!) mixtapes, I'd have called you a liar. I like Stars, but fuck, eight mixtapes! Jesus!

Anyway, here are the top five (actually six as there's a tie for fifth place) bands who've had songs on the most Yer Mam! mixtapes. Your mothers must all be proud.

*read never

1. LCD SOUNDSYSTEM


Wow, what a shocker! I could have hazarded a guess that James Murphy and band would be at the top, but what did surprise me was just how many times they had featured. LCD Soundsystem songs have been included on mixtapes of mine a massive fourteen (count 'em) times. My favourite current band have been a permanent mainstay since the early days on the clunky old blog and will continue to be a touchstone band in the future. Having blossomed with the Sound Of Silver into the kind of hyper-referential yet meaningful dance-pop band that critics have wet dreams about, LCD Soundsystem have cemented their position as the thinking dancers favourite group. Music for your mind, body and soul.

LCD Soundsystem - Watch The Tapes (mp3)

2. HOT CHIP


Again, my love for The DFA comes to the fore, as the second-most 'taped band are one-half of the UK arm of the DFArmy (the other half being Prinzhorn Dance School). Hot Chip have been included in one way or another on twelve mixtapes in the past. This is pretty impressive, considering the fact that I didn't think much of them until The Warning. I'm still lukewarm on Coming On Strong, but the band's second album is one of my favourite and most-played albums of the last couple of years. Smart, witty pop music for your feet.

Hot Chip - Colours (mp3)

3= BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE


Canadian indie-rock behemoths, Broken Social Scene just shouldn't work as a band. A careening, chaotic mess most of the time with far too many ideas than they know what to do with, they manage to fashion glory from anarchy. Even though they often sound like they're going to disintegrate at any point, the sheer joy of life and downright fun that they exude pulls them through. It's no wonder then that they've appeared on as many as eleven mixtapes. Fingers crossed that they won't be on "hiatus" for too long then.

Broken Social Scene - 7/4 Shoreline (mp3)

3= WOLF PARADE


I've never really made any secret of my love for Wolf Parade, as evidenced by their eleven mixtape caps. This band have the power to make the ordinary seem extraordinary with merely a carefully chosen word or sound. Also, with the two songwriters there's always an amazingly fluid dynamic at work, with Spencer Krug acting as the surreal fantasist and Dan Boeckner the downtrodden but hopeful romantic. A new album is due later in the year so expect more from this band on these here pages.

Wolf Parade - We Built Another World (mp3)

5= CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY YEAH


Inherently, I am just another blogger and, occasionally, I do get swept up in hype. However, I think that the hype for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's debut album was pretty justified as it's a fantastic pop album. The second one, I can take or leave as it gets too wrapped up in its own contrariness. Five million bloggers can't be wrong though.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Mama, Won't You Keep Them Castles In The Air And Burning? (mp3)

5= LINDSTROM & PRINS THOMAS

I'm cheating a little here, as I've included Lindstrom solo stuff, remixes, Prins Thomas solo, remixes and Major Swellings stuff in this entry. They've occurred in mixtape form in some guise or other a huge ten times, but to be honest, no-one does downtempo disco as well as these two Norwegians. Someday soon, I'm going to move there as everyday it feels like it's getting closer and closer to being my spiritual home. Kosmische!

Lindstrom & Prins Thomas - Tempo Tempo (mp3)

Right, here's to another two years!

JMx

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob Scheffel said...

And here's to more mixtapes in the near future too! PS: I scored the new Field CD on your recomendation and am absolutely floored, many thanks.....

11:38 pm  
Blogger Bobby Calabrese (aka DJ BWYSE) said...

Nice Recap. Thanks for the great "mix tapes" and here is to two more years.

7:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy second BDAY yer mam :)

Blogger was an ace move and im glad you made me do the same :)

Cheerio until next post :D

8:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*wonders how you got on last night*

1:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home