Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It's awards night!


First of all, apologies for not posting much around these parts lately. Not really been feeling it to be honest, plus life in general is doing its best to keep me away from the laptop for any prolonged spells nowadays. All that will be rectified soon enough, with a fresh batch of mixtapes coming soon. Scout's honour.

Anyhoo, tonight is the second annual Manchester Blog Awards. It takes place at Matt & Phreds on Tib St. and the whole thing is due to start at around 6.30pm. There'll be readings and whatnot from some of Manchester's finest bloggers, some light music, provided by yours truly and Jon from Black Country Grammar and, of course the awards themselves (see the shortlist here). Come one, come all! You don't have to be a blogger to attend and it should be a pretty good crack all 'round.

In the absence of anything substantial to write, here are some tunes that I've been loving lately, some of which you may even hear tonight...

Sharon Redd - Can You Handle It? (mp3)

Supreme good-time boogie track from 1980. Huge vibes.

The Who - Eminence Front (mp3)

Excellent late-career (until they recently came back at least) oddity. Pretty much a Pete Townshend solo number. Think disco-coke-rock with a blustery stadium edge and you're about halfway there.

Stevie Wonder - Do Like You (mp3)

Not one of his more famous tunes, but this cut from the Hotter Than July album gets me moving all the same.

In other news: Listen to my highly informative (natch) segment on re-edits for last week's Blogfresh Radio. You know you want to.

More soon,

JMx

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Steph Mulrine said...

You deserve to win all the awards Mr Morton!

9:58 pm  
Blogger James said...

Aw shucks, Miss Mulrine! Thanks but seeing as I won last year, it was someone else's turn this time. The Arts & Culture award couldn't have gone to a nicer guy either, so everyone's a winner! More about the awards as soon as I've got the taste of jazz out of my mouth. No snickering at the back!

4:23 pm  
Blogger Steph Mulrine said...

Hee hee!

Good that you've had a bit of recognition. I don't know anyone in 'real life' who even knows what a blog is.

8:38 pm  
Blogger Steph Mulrine said...

I refrained from saying "I love Yer Mam!".

With my accent its just too convincing.

8:41 pm  
Blogger James said...

Haha! Nice.

So you mean there's not an annual York Blog Awards? For shame. You should organise one then. "And the winner is... Me! For being the only blog in town!" *evil laugh echoes around empty room*

8:47 pm  
Blogger Steph Mulrine said...

Well, I'm half way between York and Teesside at the moment. But they are as culturally inept at each other.

Especially York.

I'm hoping to get myself over to Manchester at some point soon for a night out! Woo!

10:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mulrines right James ! Wow I wonder what the outcome will be :)

*waves at you people over there*

11:28 pm  
Blogger Bob Scheffel said...

Actually, the "fresh batch of mixtapes" comment has me most excited. Yay to that!

3:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home